Caprese Salad with Arugula and Basil Pesto




What do you do when you return from the farmers market with such gorgeous produce?








This week the produce were exceptionally fresh and vibrant. Especially the Cluster Red Vine Ripe Tomatoes, Bell Peppers in all the glorious shades of Red, Yellow and Orange, and Tender Green Zucchinis. They begged to come with me. And I obliged with open arms.



The tomatoes were so fresh and vibrant, I could literally hear them screaming, "Eat Me!!! Eat Me!!!". And what better way to eat such such gorgeous beauties, than eating them raw - simple and fresh.




When you think of Tomatoes... Fresh.... Simple.... You get only one answer - Caprese Salad!

Unlike me, the father-son duo is not too fond of Basil and so I hardly buy any. I used Arugula, my favorite salad green, instead of the traditional Basil. I have never seen nor eaten a Caprese Salad without Basil. To give my salad a little touch of authenticity, I used some store-bought Basil Pesto. (Fresh Pesto would have really alleviated the taste, But then.....)







My version of Caprese Salad might not be very authentic or traditional, but I daresay, it was delicious. It was everything I wished the Caprese to be - Simple, elegant, fresh and delicate!






Recipe Snapshot: Caprese Salad with Arugula and Basil Pesto

Serves: 2 


What I used:
Cluster Red Vine Ripe Tomatoes - 1-2, cut into thick rounds
(or any juicy but firm tomato) 

Fresh Mozzarella -  ½ lb, cut into thick rounds
Fresh baby Arugula - 1½ cups
Basil Pesto (fresh or store bought) - 2 tsp
Extra Virgin Olive Oil - ¼ cup
Sea salt
Freshly Cracked Pepper

What I did:
1. In a small bowl combine the olive oil with the Basil Pesto. Mix well.

2. In a salad bowl toss the arugula with half of the olive oil-basil pesto dressing.

3. Divide the leaves into two plates. Arrange the tomato and the cheese slices alternately, on top of the arugula .

4. Spoon the remaining of the dressing on the tomato and the cheese slice.

5. Sprinkle sea salt and freshly cracked black pepper.

6. Server as a side to baked/grilled meat or fish.







I served the Caprese Salad with Baked Chicken Breast, seasoned with Lemon-Pepper Seasoning. It was a simple yet elegant dinner. Not to mention a low carb one.







------------------------------------------------------






Lil Sid is not too fond of salads. So I made a quick fix Bruschetta for him.







I lightly toasted French Baguette slices and topped with Mozzarella slices. In a separate bowl, I tossed chopped tomatoes, minces garlic, olive oil and salt and tiny bit of pepper. I topped the Mozzarella slices with the tomato-garlic mix and broiled it for 1-2 mins till the cheese melted.

Sid really enjoyed his dinner of Bruschetta  and Baked Chicken.





------------------------------------------------------

Comments

  1. Love the pictures of the Tomatoes. Gorgeous pics and salad. Have to try this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Bhavna... ts really a light and fresh salad and perfect for summer months.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Your thoughts and comments is what keep "A Whiff of Spice" going

Popular Posts