Blueberry Muffins for Breakfast - Wholesome Goodness

“Some Flour and Eggs and Milk and Sugar, Then I Stir It All Together”, sang Caillou’s Daddy merrily. Little Sid looked at me and said, “cupcake khabo” (I want to have cupcakes.) I ignored and continued to stare at the FB screen. He nudged me again, “cake banao, now!” (Make a cake, now!!!) “Is that an order?” I calmly replied. The smarty gave the cutest sheepish smile and he instantly knew that his job is done!



But I bargained a little. Instead of cupcakes, Lil Sid is going to get muffins. Poor kid still does understand the difference between a muffin and a cupcake. Any cake like substance in a paper cup is a cupcake for him and hence it is easy to cheat. Personally I prefer muffins because of their dense and almost bread like texture. They are pretty filling and great choice for breakfast on the go. They taste best oven fresh, cooled yet slight warm; moist and decadent and smelling heavenly. I often freeze my extra muffins. Pop in the microwave oven for 45 sec and they are oven fresh again.

I really don’t need to refer to my recipe collections to make these muffins. I can make them with my eyes closed. They are so simple. And the best part it, I don’t need any hi-fi gadgets; just a big bowl for the dry ingredients and a measuring cup for the wet ingredients, a wire whisk, a spatula, muffin tin, paper liners and I am good to go.

Diabetics are advised to avoid refined flour, like all-purpose flour because it had a high Glycemic Index, which caused spikes in your blood sugar. So I have replaced the all-purpose flour, with whole wheat flour. I was very skeptical when I first made it, thinking I’ll get tough muffins. But trust me, you will not miss the all-purpose flour at all.


What I used:
Blueberries - 1 dry pint (11 oz/311 gm)


Dry Ingredients:
Whole Wheat Flour (Atta)- 2 cups
Splenda or Sugar - 1 cup 
(or any zero calorie sugar substitute)
Baking Powder - 2 tsp
Salt – ½ tsp

Wet Ingredients:
Canola/ Corn/ Veg Oil - 1/4 cup
Egg (whites) - 2
or
Egg (whole) - 1
Fat free yogurt - 1 cup
Vanilla Extract - 1 tbsp (if using all purpose flour, use only 1 tsp of vanilla extract)
Whole wheat flour had its distinct smell. Hence the amount of vanilla extract is more.


How I did it:
Preheat the oven at 375F or 190C.

Shift all the items under 'Dry Ingredients'

In a measuring cup, add oil, egg whites, yogurt and vanilla extract.

Whisk everything into a homogeneous mixture.

Now add the 'Wet Ingredients' to the 'Dry Ingredients' and mix until just incorporated. The important thing is not to over mix the batter. The batter should be still lumpy and traces of flour could be seen. Don't worry about the lumps as the batter continues to blend as it bakes and any lumps will disappear. Read more on mixing muffin batter here.

Coat the blueberries in 1s tbsp of flour, to avoid sinking and add to the batter. Fold gently.
Grease your muffin tin well or line it with paper cups. Evenly fill each cup and bake 20 - 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean and the crust is golden and crisp.


Twenty-five impatient minutes later, I sink my teeth in a crisp golden crust, feeling the moist and tender interior. Its dense but not too much and blueberry blast in every mouthful! Bliss!!!

These muffins can be made with any other berries or nuts or even chocolate chips and is a must try. And now Lil Sid has decorated his muffin with Hershey's syrup (the very first pic and yes! he decorated it himself). I cannot imagine my blueberry muffin with chocolate, but he said "YUMMY" after every bite! 


Diabetic Platter: These muffins are wholesome and very filling and a delicious choice for breakfast. Pair it with a egg white omelet or a fruit smoothie to power start your day. Though I often have it with just my morning tea for a super quick breakfast. The sugar substitute provides the sweetness without spiking the blood sugar. However, sugar substitutes are not supposed to be very healthy for you, so limit their intake. I am more of a tea drinker than coffee and I have my tea without sugar. I have restricted my sugar substitute intake to only cakes and muffins as I just cannot do without them :) And remember diabetic or not Never miss your Breakfast!

Comments

  1. I love something sweet with my coffee. This sounds good. Just that I too feel a bit uncomf about artificial sugar. I add half s teaspoon of sugar to my coffee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know!I am myself not a huge fan of artificial sweetener. But being a diabetic, you are bound by certain restrictions; sugar being on top of the list. I try to restrict my artificial sugar to baked goodies only, since I am crazy about them! I have trained myself to have unsweetened tea and coffee though. And thanks a ton for your feedback. My first comment!!!! You just made my day! A big THANKS!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Your thoughts and comments is what keep "A Whiff of Spice" going

Popular Posts